Home > Church Guide

4. A Guide to the Church Windows

As you walk through the West door of the church look straight ahead.  The seven stained glass windows in the Chancel and Tower are one of the great glories of the church.  They were made by William Morris from the designs of the artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones and are acknowledged to be some of their finest work.  They first met at Oxford University and remained firm friends.  The three east windows, erected in 1893 were the personal gift of the artist to commemorate the marriage of his daughter Margaret in the church.  Represented in these windows are the three archangels, Gabriel, Michael and Raphael.

The Three East Windows by Sir Edward Burne Jones

 

Gabriel Michael Raphael

Gabriel being the messenger, Michael the warrior and Raphael the carer and guardian of children.

The beautiful window in the South wall of the chancel depicts the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The opposite window in the north wall, portrays St Margaret the Patron Saint of the church as previously mentioned.

The two lancet windows in the Tower, on the north side “Jacob’s Vision” (Jacob’s Ladder), and on the South a “Jesse Tree” showing the figures of Christ’s Ancestors Jesse, David, Solomon, Hezekiah, Josiah and the Blessed Virgin with the Infant Christ.  In 1922 the old “low side window” in the south wall of the Chancel, which had been blocked up since the Reformation, was opened and filled with stained glass by Townshend, in memory of Sir Wentworth Dilke who is buried in the churchyard.  The windows mentioned above were removed during the Second World War and stored in a neighbouring cellar for safekeeping.

There are two more windows in the north wall of the nave from the designs of Sir Edward Burne-Jones and executed by the firm of William Morris after the death of both the artist and Morris. 

The first represents St Martin and was erected in memory of Mr Edward Ridsdale who was father of Countess Baldwin, wife of the former Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin.

The second represents St Veronica and St George and was erected to the memory of Major Roger Rowden MC who at the time of his death was the youngest Major of the Air Force.  The motto of the RAF ‘Per ardua ad Astra’, appears beneath the figure of St George.

The window above the pulpit is in memory of the Beard family.  It depicts “Christ on the Mount” where he taught the Beatitudes.  The latest window in the church is that of the ‘Millennium Window’ donated by the parishioners of St Margaret’s.  The window was executed to the design of Mr Andrew Taylor and installed in 2004.  The window depicts the Eucharist the earthly products of water and wheat on one side and the other shows the chalice and host (Bread) under a cross surrounded by a crown of thorns. 

The window can be seen as you enter the church immediately on your left, in front of the balcony balustrade, on the north wall of the nave, (it is best viewed when leaving the church).

On the South wall, the five windows are in the style of the London firm of Clayton and Bell.  Each one depicts scenes from the life of Christ and we can see the miracles from Christ’s life.  Christ’s Baptism, the Nativity, the Holy Family and the Annunciation.


Church Guide
Webpage icon 1. History St Margaret of Antioch
Webpage icon 2. History of The Church
Webpage icon 3. History of the Church continued
Webpage icon 5. A Guide to the Inside the Church
Webpage icon 6. A Guide to the Churchyard
Webpage icon 7. Guide to the Village
Webpage icon A Guide to St Margarets Church