Home > Church Guide

3. History of the Church continued

Various alterations and restorations have taken place in the church from time to time.  In 1876 the old fashioned high box pews were removed and the present pews substituted.

As recently as January 2011 there has been a re-ordering at the east end of the Nave.  Two sections of pews have been removed.  The removal of the ancient rotted floor timbers were replaced and covered with a crimson carpet, (designed to be the same hue as that of the archangel Michael’s wings in the stained glass window to be seen in the chancel) adding colour and warmth.  The whole area adds richness to the Church.  This was a much-needed move to allow more space for worship. 

East end of the Nave

This space allows for a more flexible use of the building.  As well as its prime use for worship, the church is now more able to host concerts, recitals and the like.

In 1920, the Bishop of Lewes dedicated a war memorial chapel at the east end of the south aisle and unveiled a memorial tablet to the men of Rottingdean who fell in the First World War.  Thirty seven names are mentioned there, a large loss to a then, small farming village.  The wooden crosses either side of the tablet were brought back from the battlefield.

In the baptistry, at the south west end of the aisle, may be seen the battered bowl of a thirteenth century font.  It now resides on the fourteenth century window sill.  Reflect for just a moment as you gaze at this old font and imagine the families of long ago, being baptised in this very place. 

Baptistry Bowl

This bowl (font) was found some years ago, buried in the vicarage garden, which was then the present grounds of the Grange.  It is now placed in its true home, but is too much injured for use, another has been erected, a replica of the 13th century one (from a design of Mr Johnson, which is believed to be an exact reproduction of the old one), in memory of Mr Charles Reed, Churchwarden of the parish for many years. There is a very similar font in Iford Church, near Lewes, which served as a model for the new ‘legs’ and base.

In the corner of the Baptistry on the south-west wall you will find a list of Vicars of the Church since 1237 AD to the present day.

 


Church Guide
Webpage icon 1. History St Margaret of Antioch
Webpage icon 2. History of The Church
Webpage icon 4. A Guide to the Church Windows
Webpage icon 5. A Guide to the Inside the Church
Webpage icon 6. A Guide to the Churchyard
Webpage icon 7. Guide to the Village
Webpage icon A Guide to St Margarets Church